Why Do I Have Wolf Spiders In My Opelika Home?
February 4, 2022
Wolf spiders are large and rather startling in appearance, but the good news is, they’re pretty recognizable—and hard to forget.
In Opelika, these spiders aren’t only common, but they’re found everywhere. Although they aren’t poisonous and don’t pose a threat to people, their bites are believed to be painful.
Read on for more about what wolf spiders in Opelika look like, what attracts spiders to Opelika homes, wolf spider prevention tips for Opelika homeowners, and how to get rid of wolf spiders in your Opelika house.
What Does A Wolf Spider Look Like In Opelika?
Wolf spiders are large, measuring 1.2 to five centimeters in length. They are typically dark brown or black in color with gray, yellow, or cream-colored markings, and their bodies are covered in hair. Wolf spiders prefer to live a solitary life, as most spiders do, and they’re also nocturnal. They also have eight legs and eight eyes arranged in three distinct rows: four small eyes on the bottom, two large eyes in the middle, and two mid-sized eyes on the top.
What Attracts Spiders To Opelika Homes?
There are a few factors that may attract spiders to Opelika homes. Here are three:
- Warmth And Humidity: Spiders are commonly found in basements, underneath baseboards, in crawlspaces, and other high-heat areas in the home.
- Moisture: Some spider species need a high level of moisture to survive. If your home has any issues with leaky pipes, clogged gutters, overflowing drainage, or standing water, you may be unknowingly attracting these pests.
- Household waste: Even though spiders don’t feed on items discarded in the trash, they do feed on many other insects that do, such as flies and ants. Improperly storing garbage can attract other pests and, thus, spiders, as can keeping stacks of firewood close by the home.
Wolf Spider Prevention Tips For Opelika Homeowners
Aside from professional pest control services, the most effective way to keep pests out of your Opelika home is with professional pest control services. However, there are a few preventative actions that can help to keep wolf spiders out:
- De-clutter Your Home, Inside And Out: Spiders, together with many other pests, thrive in conditions with ample clutter. It provides them with undisturbed areas to nest in and flourish and can easily allow a small pest problem to escalate into a full-blown infestation. Keep clutter to a minimum, and be sure to clean outdoor debris, such as fallen leaves and branches.
- Seal Cracks In Foundation And Exterior-Facing Walls: If wolf spiders are finding a way inside, then it’s because there’s an opening somewhere. Inspect your foundation for cracks, and repair all damage to outward-facing walls and doors as well. As an added precaution, install door sweeps onto exterior-facing doors and replace any screens that have been damaged.
- Discard All Cardboard Boxes: Wolf spiders particularly gravitate to cardboard boxes to build their nests. An excellent preventative technique is to swap all cardboard storage boxes for plastic containers with airtight lids, which will keep out wolf spiders and other common pests.
How To Get Rid Of Wolf Spiders In Your Opelika House
The most effective and easiest way to get rid of wolf spiders in your Opelika house is with professional pest control services. At Prewett Pest Control & Termite, we provide our customers with a seamless, digital experience for specialized treatments that are designed to eradicate wolf spiders and any other pests that may be present in your home.
At the first sign of wolf spiders and other pests, contact professionals at Prewett Pest Control & Termite today.