What You Ought To Know About Yellow Jackets Around Your Auburn Property
September 9, 2020
When trying to enjoy your Auburn yard, dealing with stinging insects can be frustrating. The appearance of wasps around your home or business can be very off-putting and even scary because of their ability to sting.
While not all wasps are as aggressive as you might think, some are, and many species are dangerous. There are many species of wasps found in the Auburn area, and one of the most common and most harmful is the eastern yellow jacket. These wasps tend to be more aggressive than other species, and finding a nest around your yard is a cause for concern.
Since eastern yellow jackets can look similar to other wasp species, we’ve provided a simple overview to help you tell them apart.
- The yellow jacket has black and yellow stripes.
- They have a slim, sleek appearance.
- They have a thin “waist.”
- This species has no hair or fuzz.
- They have thin, transparent wings.
Are Yellow Jackets More Dangerous Than Other Wasps?
A person can end up in the hospital after being stung by a wasp if they are allergic to the venom, but yellow jackets can cause serious medical problems even for people who aren’t allergic. There are a few main reasons for this:
- They attack in large numbers. Yellow jackets are a social species, so when they attack, most often in defense of their nests, they can signal other yellow jackets for help, meaning you could end up being stung by multiple wasps at once.
- They can sting over and over. While some stinging insects, such as bees, die after stinging a person once, this isn’t the case for yellow jackets. They can sting and inject their venom multiple times.
- They are often aggressive, especially when compared to other wasp species.
For these three reasons, yellow jackets are a health risk for anyone. Also, many people don’t even realize they are allergic until after they’ve been stung. Keeping your property free of yellow jackets is important.
How You Can Prevent Yellow Jackets
Because yellow jackets are dangerous, taking some prevention steps around your yard to keep yourself and your family safe is important. While these deterrent measures aren’t a guarantee of a wasp-free yard, they can reduce the risk.
Here are a few of the best yellow jacket prevention tips:
- Avoid overplanting flowering plants in general, including things like fennel and Queen Anne’s lace.
- Keep your yard maintained and mowed.
- Trim bushes, trees, and shrubs regularly.
- Make sure to treat water features like hot tubs and pools with the correct chemicals.
- Remove any standing water from your property.
What To Do If You See Yellow Jackets Around Your Property
If you’ve seen yellow jackets around your Auburn yard, especially if you’ve noticed a nest, the best and safest way to remove them is to get help from the experts at Prewett Pest Control. It’s not advisable to attempt to remove a nest on your own as even nests that appear inactive might not be. We offer modern pest control solutions at affordable prices, and our technicians can remove any wasp nest effectively. To find out more, give us a call today for a quote.