How To Prep Your Auburn Home For Termite Season
March 4, 2022
There are many pests here in Auburn that get into homes and cause trouble. Most do not put much effort into concealing their presence. Ants crawl across kitchen tables, flies buzz through the air, and rodents make noise at all hours of the night. Termites are a bit different. These pests invade deep into the structural wood of properties, causing extensive damage. Today we will be talking about termite season, termite identification, and how to get rid of termites if they get into your Auburn home.
When Is Termite Season In Auburn?
Different termites swarm during different times of the year. The most common species of termites in our area, subterranean termites, swarm during spring. Other species swarm during late summer or fall. If you do not already know, termite season involves termite swarmers. These winged, reproductive members are like scouts. They fly away from fully mature termite colonies and look for new areas to build new colonies. Subterranean termites look for wood on properties that has been negatively affected by moisture, rot, or decay. If they find tasty treats on your property, they will start a nest underground nearby and build tunnels to gatherable sources of wood.
How Do I Know If My Auburn Home Has Termites?
Just because it’s termite season in Auburn does not mean your home is not currently infested. We think it is incredibly important that homeowners in our area know how to identify termites. For this reason, here are some signs of termites to look for around your home.
- Mud tubes running up your home’s exterior
- A rustling noise coming from inside structural wood
- Hollow-sounding support beams and planks
- Moisture spots on walls, floors, and ceilings
- Suspiciously squeaky floors and stairs
- Hard-to-open windows and doors
- Sagging drywall
- Visible galley ways running through structural wood
- Pin-sized holes running in and out of wood
Something you should keep in mind with all of these signs is that they usually don’t show up until months (or even years) after termites first invade a home. The only sure way to spot these pests early is to hire a professional for a detailed inspection.
How To Prevent Termites In Auburn Naturally
Once you know your home does not have a termite infestation, your next step should be to put in place solutions to keep these pests away, year-round. To start, here are eight quick and easy termite prevention tips to try today.
- Seal gaps and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation using a caulking gun.
- Make sure all of your window/door screens are in good working order.
- Repair or replace structural wood inside your home or outbuildings that have negatively been affected by water damage.
- Remove organic clutter such as leaves and sticks from your property.
- Eliminate sources of water build-up in and around your home.
- Use a dehumidifier indoors.
- Make sure your gutters are working properly.
- Remove untreated lumber, fallen trees, and dead stumps from your property.
How Does Prewett Get Rid Of Termites In Auburn?
If you are looking for simpler or more effective termite control options for your Auburn home, hire the professionals at Prewett Pest Control & Termite. We handle termites in a few different ways. Two of our most popular options are liquid treatments applied around the base of a structure and bait stations designed to eliminate colonies of termites and prevent future invasion. If you have a termite problem on your property, we will find a pest control solution that fits your needs.
Contact our team today to learn more about our service options and get your Auburn home the care it needs to fight back against termites.